This heavy duty, extra capacity Ranger and
Explorer Ford transmission pan fits 2WD and 4WD vehicles with the 4R55E,
5R55E, 4R44E, and A4LD transmissions. These 4 and 5 speed transmissions
are found in primarily in 1985 to 2001 Ford Rangers and Explorers but
can also be in several models and years:
- Ford Aerostar, 1986-1997 with 2.8, 3.0, and 4.0 engines (the 1986 model was introduced in 1985)
- Ford Bronco II, 1985-1990 with 2.8 and 2.9 engines usually have front cross member interference
- Ford Explorer, 1991-1994 with 4.0 engine
- Ford Explorer 1995 - 2004 usually have exhaust interference with a
larger transmission pan or have a 5R55W pan which requires a fill/level
check on the pan)
- 1990-1993 Ford Mustang with 2.3 engine (may have AOD transmission and clearance issues)
- Ford Mountaineer, 1998-2001 with 4.0 engine
- Ford Ranger, 1989 - 1997 with 2.3 (4 cylinder), 2.5 (4 cylinder), 2.9, 3.0, and 4.0 engines
- Ford Ranger, 1998 and newer with 2.3 (4 cylinder) and 2.5 (4
cylinder) — 4.0 and 3.0 engines usually have exhaust interference with a
larger transmission pan
- Ford Thunderbird, 1987-1988, with 2.3 engine
Some vehicles with a 4R55E, 5R55E, 4R44E, or A4LD transmission may
have interference in the way of a deeper pan. Interference can be from
many things, such as a cross member or the exhaust system. Please check
your vehicle for clearance before ordering.
Please check your vehicle to be sure there is enough room to allow
our pan to clear your exhaust system. Some customers with the 4.0 V6
have had contact with the catalytic converters or resonators that are
located along side or in front of the transmission pan.
The A4LD transmission is a C3 transmission with overdrive.
PML's Ford transmission pan is designed to work with the stock 4WD filter.
On a 2WD vehicle, you must use the 4WD filter
because of the pick up tube. These images show from left to right: the
2wd filter, the 4wd filter, both filters, side view of both filters.
Click on images to view larger ones in a separate tab or window.
Information for reference only. Installer should verify appropriate
transmission, filter, and fitment based on the individual vehicle.