Because the Dana 44 differential has so many uses and variations, read this pdf file on PML Covers for Dana 44 differentials for more information on what to check before replacing your stock cover.
This Dana 44 differential cover features fill/level check hole, a
drain hole, fins and aluminum construction for to dissipate heat. The
fins have the traditional straight fin design and the shape of the cover
has the same shape as the stock cover. These aftermarket covers have
thick walls and gasket flanges to add strength to the differential
housing and to provide a uniform clamping force on the gasket surface
for a secure seal.
The Dana 44 differential is found on many vehicles beginning in the 1940┤s and is still used today. For example:
- Dodge Ramcharger front, 1972 to 1978
- Dodge Pick Up front, 1972 to 1978
- Ford F100 and F150 front, 1971 to 1979
- Ford F250 front, 1966 to 1979
- Ford F350 front, 1966 to 1979
- Ford Bronco front, 1971 to 1979
- Jaguar (some rear)
- Jeep CJ rear, 1941 to 1975
- Jeep Truck front, 1974 to 1986
- Jeep Wagoneer front, 1974 to 1986
- Jeep Cherokee front, 1974 to 1986
- Jeep rear, 1974 to approximately 2008
- IH Scout front, 1975 to 1980
- IH Scout rear, 1967 to 1980
There are many different versions of Dana 44 differentials and PML
makes three different Dana 44 covers to accommodate a variety of
applications. The sizes, shapes, number of bolts, and level check hole
locations vary as does the axle rotation and venting so check your stock
set-up carefully. PML does not make a rear or front end
cover for the Dana 44/213mm or Dana 44/200mm applications as yet. The
213 and 200 both have 12 bolts.
This PML cover for Dana 44 differentials typically coresponds to stock covers on 1941 to 1980 vehicles.
Do not use this cover on: 2009 and newer Jeeps or GM front ends.
In 2009, Jeep changed the design of the rear axles and added a vent so a PML cover will not work on newer models.
Dana 44 front fill diff cover (p/n 5055) is on the left and the Dana 44 top fill diff cover (p/n 9516) is on the right: